Application and Advantages of Sealless Magnetic Pump in Carbon Capture and Storage Technology
As the issue of climate change becomes increasingly prominent, carbon capture and storage technology has become an important part of mitigating greenhouse gas emissions. This article provides a preliminary understanding of the basic concepts and application methods of carbon capture and storage technology, as well as the key applications of PTCXPUMP metallic stainless steel magnetic drive pumps in the carbon capture and storage process.
Carbon capture and storage (CCS)
Carbon capture and storage (CCS) refers to the method of capturing and burying carbon dioxide, aiming to actively reduce carbon dioxide emissions and thereby slow down global warming. This technology first captures carbon dioxide from industrial emission sources, then stores it in deep underground or oceans, and then provides it to a variety of industries for use or conversion into chemicals, fuels, etc. CCS technology is suitable for most stationary carbon dioxide emission sources, such as oil refineries, natural gas power plants, steel plants and cement plants.
How Does Carbon Capture Work?
- Pre-combustion capture (preCCC): Convert fuel into hydrogen and carbon dioxide through gasification, steam recombination or physical absorption in the reactor, and then separate the carbon dioxide.
- Post-combustion capture (postCCC): The most common method uses liquid carbon dioxide solvent to capture carbon dioxide from the flue gas after the fuel is burned. The flue gas generated after burning fuel and oxygen enters the absorber, where carbon dioxide is separated through a scrubbing process, and the remaining flue gas without carbon dioxide can be released into the atmosphere. The carbon dioxide then passes through the desorber, where the solvent containing the absorbed carbon dioxide is heated, and a chemical reaction occurs to separate the carbon dioxide, which is then captured and stored.
Scrubber tower with similar principles, in-depth understanding of its operation and applications: [Environmental Technology Application]
- Oxy-fuel combustion:
Fossil fuels burn in nearly pure oxygen air to produce flue gas containing carbon dioxide and water, with a concentration of carbon dioxide as high as 80-98%. The water in the flue gas is then condensed into liquid to increase the concentration of carbon dioxide. This flue gas is more easy to compress and store. Additionally, this method consumes less fuel and energy and produces fewer greenhouse gases than postCCC.
- Geological Carbon Sequestration: Inject the captured carbon dioxide into the porous rocks in deep underground geology for long-term storage. It is the most common and feasible storage method today.
- Oceans Carbon Sequestration: Store carbon dioxide in the ocean and dissolve it in seawater, or form solid carbon dioxide hydrates or liquid carbon dioxide lakes.
- Soil organic carbon (SOC): React carbon dioxide with metal oxides to form carbonate minerals.
Application Areas for Carbon Utilization
In addition to capturing and storing carbon dioxide, how else can the captured carbon dioxide be effectively used? Carbon dioxide can be used as an industrial resource. The following are the application areas of carbon utilization (CU):
- Exploitation of Oil: Carbon dioxide can be used directly. Pressurized carbon dioxide is injected into oil and gas layers to push the oil to the oil wells, improving the efficiency of oil extraction. At the same time, the carbon dioxide is also stored in the formation.
- Industry: Convert carbon dioxide into industrial fuels, such as natural gas, synthetic fuels, etc.
For additional knowledge on synthetic fuels: [E-fuel Production Application for Stainless Steel Magnetic Drive Pump]
- Electrolyzer: Electrolyzer uses renewable energy, carbon dioxide and water to perform electrolysis to produce hydrogen.
More about: [What Are the Advantages of Sealless Magnetic Drive Pumps in Hydrogen Electrolyzers?]
- Fertilizer Industry: Use carbon dioxide as a raw material for urea production.
- Food Industry: The bubbles in the carbonated drinks that everyone often drinks are carbon dioxide, which creates the excitement you feel when drinking them. In addition, it can also be used to assist in the sterilization process of food.
Application of Sealless Magnetic Drive Pump in Carbon Capture Process
- Transporting Liquid Carbon Dioxide: After successfully capturing carbon dioxide, it needs to be converted into a liquid state so that it can be transported to a suitable storage location. Sealless mag drive pumps are ideal for pumping liquid CO₂ because you don’t have to worry about leaks when using them.
- Delivery of Liquid Solvent: In the process of capturing CO₂ after combustion, in order to effectively adsorb CO₂, it is usually necessary to use a specific liquid solvent. These solvents play a key role in the capture process, and to ensure its smooth operation, we rely on sealless magnetic drive pumps to deliver liquid solvents efficiently and reliably.
Advantages of PTCXPUMP Metallic Stainless Steel Magnetic Drive Pump in CCS Applications
In carbon capture and storage technology, the use of metallic magnetic drive pumps has the following advantages:
- Corrosion-resistant, suitable for chemical environments
- Non-seal sealless design to prevent leakage and ensure safe operation
- Excellent performance, efficient and reliable
- Unique structural design to improve production efficiency
- Low maintenance requirements and extended equipment service life
The mag drive pump has the characteristics of no leakage, and the metallic stainless steel material ensures corrosion resistance to various chemical fluids. In the CCS process, the PTCXPUMP metallic magnetic drive pump can safely transport corrosive capture solvents while effectively reducing your operating costs.
Reducing carbon emissions and effectively utilizing carbon dioxide has become the goal of governments, organizations and enterprises around the world. They continue to pursue the sustainable development of the earth. PTCXPUMP will work with you to contribute to net-zero emissions!
PTCXPUMP specializes in providing sealless magnetic drive pumps, integrating R&D, production, sales, and after-sales service to provide a full range of services. If you are looking for a transportation solution that improves efficiency in the field of carbon capture and storage applications, or want to know more about the application of sealless magnetic drive pumps in CCS application, please feel free to contact us at any time, and we will immediately assist you in choosing the suitable magnetic drive pump.